Inipit translated to English means “pressed”, is a flat sandwich pastry that originated from Malolos, Bulacan. Inipit is two slices of sponge cake with custard filling in which Eurobake is known for. It started as Panaderia La Concepcion in 1945 in San Vicente, Malolos. The original inipit was introduced to the public by the late Salome P. de Ramos. The recipe of the original inipit is a well-kept family secret. So, I am on a quest to find the best inipit recipe that will be close to the taste of how I remembered it from La Concepcion from San Vicente, Malolos. That is how I was introduced to this delicacy back in the nineties. I have found three different recipes for the filling so far, and I have tried one, it taste good but I feel that I might tweak the recipe next time. I’ll post the recipe for now but I am determined to come close to the taste of Eurobake as I go along and will definitely update this post too…Promise! I hope you guys will enjoy it just like we do.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp. evaporated milk or whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 can evaporated milk
- 1/2 can condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and line two pans.
2. Sift and mix the flour mixture. Set aside.
3. For the egg mixture, beat the egg yolks until light in color. Add milk and vanilla. Set aside.
4. To make the meringue, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a separate bowl until they form soft peaks. Add the sugar and beat till it form stiff peaks.
5. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture thoroughly and mix well making sure the batter is free of lumps.
6. Fold the batter to the meringue.
7. Pour over prepared pans and bake each for 15-20 minutes. ( Check for doneness, when inserted toothpick comes out clean).
8. Let the cake cool completely.
9. Make the filling; in a saucepan, cook the filling mixture over low heat and stir constantly till it reach a thick spreadable consistency. Let it cool completely.
- Invert the cake and remove brown crumbs
- Spread the filling on one of that cake and place the other cake on top to make the inipit just like a sandwich.
- Brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cut into desired sizes.