Summer is here, and when its gets hot and humid outside…I love making Milk Tea with Boba Pearl Smoothie or simply called Bubble Tea Smoothie! I love boba, these are black tapioca pearls made from tapioca starch. They are sweet, somewhat chewy or gummy. This recipe is super easy since I used a store bought package of Milk tea powder drink. What you need to do is just blend the milk tea drink and ice cubes on your blender till you get it as smooth as your liking. Boba pearls are pretty easy to prepare too, and you can buy them easily at Asian supermarket. Cooking Boba pearls mostly took me at least 15-20 minutes.
Why is it called Bubble Tea? Back in the 1980s, it was introduced in Taiwan when a tea stand came out with the innovative idea of adding tapioca pearls to their frothy drink. The drink they came up with have bubbles on top(froth) and at the bottom(boba/tapioca pearls), hence they were called Bubble Tea. I remember this being introduced in the Philippines back in the ’90s. My go to place in the Philippines if I want some smoothie or slushie is Zagu though my favorite add on there is crystals.
- 2 Instant Boba Milk Tea packets
- 2 cups ice
- ½ cup boba pearls cooked per package instructions
- Mix the instant milk tea powder with water.
- In a blender, put the milk tea mixture with ice and blend till it is smooth to your liking.
- Transfer the smoothie to a tall glass, add the Boba pearls. Use big Boba/Bubble straw.