Pork Menudo, another popular Filipino dish that is present in every occasion like parties or gatherings. This Pork Menudo is a pork and liver stew which is different from Mexican Menudo also known as pancita (traditional spicy beef tripe and hominy soup). I remember growing up; my Nanay always cooked it when it’s our town fiesta. I still remember the first time I cooked it my cousin did not realized I was the one that cooked it because my mother had to attend something. She left me with instructions just in case she won’t make it on time. She already had it marinated and so I only had to do half of the cooking but that was fun and that got me into more cooking. This is a basic and simple pork menudo with regards to ingredients that is why you won’t see garbanzo beans, green peas, hotdogs or raisins on the list. Of course you can add those mentioned ingredients per your preference. Just remember to add them towards the end of your cooking. I will put some notes on how to do it below.
Pork Menudo is best served with hot steamed white rice. If you happened to have leftovers it is also good with pan de sal in the morning as your filling, we call it palaman in Tagalog. Or you can mix it with fried rice and you have a Menudo Fried Rice.
- 1 kg pork cubed (2 lbs pork)
- ¼ kg pork liver (1/2 lb)
- Juice of 4-5 pcs calamansi or from ½ lemon
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 6 cloves garlic minced and divided into 2
- 1 big onion, chopped and divided into 2
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 potato, cut into cubes
- 1 carrot, cut into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ cup water(adjust as needed)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce (optional)
- In a large pan, marinate the pork and liver with calamansi juice, soysauce, 1 /2 garlic and ½ onion for about an hour.
- After an hour, bring to a stove and put on high heat till it boils, then let it simmer on low heat till meat is tender. Set aside.
- On a separate pan, add the oil on medium heat and fry the potato and carrot till lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- On the same pan, sauté the remaining garlic and onion till it is aromatic and translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, then combine the cooked pork and liver. Mix well and let it simmer.
- Add the fried carrot and potato.
- Add the sliced red bell pepper and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce or salt as needed. Transfer to a bowl and serve hot.
To add raisins or green peas, add it at the same time you add the fried potato and carrots and let it simmer.
You may omit the pork liver per your preference.