Want to cook something healthy yet delicious? Then, this one is for you, Sautéed Cauliflowers and Snow Peas with Vermicelli. In Filipino language, simply translated ginisang cauliflower at sitsaro na may sotanghon. My mother used to do cook this for us especially if the cauliflowers were in season. But I don’t worry about it now, because every time I go to the market they are available same with snow peas. This recipe is cook in about 30 minutes. Of course, you can add any meat you want. But for this particular recipe I used left over rotisserie chicken breast. If you don’t have it, don’t fret. You can always stir fry chicken tenderloins or boneless chicken breast. Or you can also boil the chicken breast including the bones to make a chicken broth that you can add later to cook the vermicelli.
I used one large head of cauliflower for this recipe and yes it is a lot. But I eat a lot of veggies so it was fine, we did eat for 3 times, hahaha! So this means it will be good for 8 servings at least.
How to choose cauliflower? Good question, first look for large firm head that feel heavy for it’s size. Also, look for creamy white florets without brown speckles. Make sure that the base of the stem is not discolored or dry. And for snow peas, just pick bright green peas with small flat seeds. Also make sure that they are not wilted or discolored to get the freshest.
Preparation: Soak the vermicelli in water till its soft. Cut the cauliflower florets in bite size portion. And for snow peas, trim the ends. Cooking this, pretty easy! First, sauté garlic till its golden brown. Then add the onion and shredded chicken breast. Stir fry it for a minute or two, then add a tbsp. of fish sauce. You can use salt it just adds more flavor if you use fish sauce! Then add the cauliflower stir them for a minute. Add the snow peas after a minute. Remove from pan and set aside(to prevent overcooking the veggies!). On the same pan, add a cup of chicken broth, when it is boiling add the vermicelli till its cook. Turn off heat. Finally, mix in the cooked veggies and chicken into the vermicelli. Transfer to a plate and serve while still warm.
- ½ leftover rotisserie chicken breast shredded
- 1 head cauliflower cut into pieces
- 100 grams snow peas
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- vermicelli(soaked in water for 5-10 minutes)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- In a pan, sauté garlic first in vegetable oil till golden brown.
- Add the sliced onion and shredded chicken breast. Mix.
- Add the fish sauce and stir for a minute.
- Add the cauliflower and stir fry for 2 minutes(pale yellow)
- Add the snow peas till its cook and tender (bright green)
- Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan, add the chicken broth till it simmer.
- Add the pre-soaked vermicelli, let it cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, mix in the cooked cauliflower and snow peas.
- Transfer to a plate, serve while still warm.
You can replace the fish sauce with salt if not available.
You can of course cut the recipe in half.
Adjust the taste to your liking for your preference.
You can substitute any meat of your choice, shrimp will be good too!