For my second post I am sharing my recipe for Yellow Cab’s Charlie Chan Pasta…I’ve tried this dish back in the Philippines two years ago when my friend Lorna treated me for lunch at Yellow Cab. It tasted like Pad Thai for me but I think Yellow Cab uses a different pasta or it may have been spaghetti.
You can use spaghetti pasta by all means, for this recipe though I use Taiwan Plain Noodles to give that Asian feel and taste. The Taiwan Noodles if you want to try it, you can find it any Asian stores or grocery. It comes in a box or sometimes in a plastic packaging. Better try it first to make sure it’s not soggy when you mix it with the Charlie Chan Pasta sauce. Or you can always just use spaghetti pasta to save you the trouble.
With this recipe, I tried to re-create the taste on how I remembered it to be and using the simple ingredients that you may have on your own kitchen. Some recipes you will find on the web ask for char siu sauce, I did not have to use it in this recipe instead I use chili garlic sauce. So here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins or chicken breast (boneless)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package pasta (cooked it al dente)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup peanuts ground
- 1-2 tsp chili garlic sauce to taste
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushroom, soaked in water
- 5-6 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp butter (optional)
- Sauté garlic & onion in olive oil on a heated pan.
- Add chicken and shiitake mushroom till its cooked or tender. Add butter here if you want.
- On a separate pan; stir together soy sauce, peanuts, sugar and water until it thickens like a sauce.
- Then add the sauce to the sautéed chicken and mushroom. Mix well.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sautéed chicken and sauce mixture.
- Garnish with spring onions!