I have never tried Chocolate Breakfast Muffin before, but guys you should try this recipe.
Recently, I attended a class given by WRTC (Washington Regional Transplant Community). It was a full day class with breakfast and lunch provided. I had my breakfast before I went to the class so I was not that hungry to eat yet. After 2 or 3 hours sitting into that class, we had our break and this chocolate muffin with sugar on top caught my attention. I was drawn to it; I was curious how it taste. Did not know that something looking that simple taste so good. I cannot forget how it tastes, it was so chocolaty good! I mean it has chocolate chips incorporated to the muffin. So I told myself, I am going to make it. The problem is I do not know what it is called. So I searched the World Wide Web describing the muffin on the search engine. I even used image search. The only recipe that look close to it was the Chocolate Breakfast Muffins by King Arthur Flour.
So this Chocolate Breakfast Muffins is adapted from King Arthur Flour. I tweaked it a little because I did not have baking soda at the time of baking. I also used buttermilk in my recipe and a lot of vanilla flavoring. I did not add salt to this recipe since I used salted butter already. When you bake these muffins, just watch your oven. Our ovens may have different calibrations; you know your oven’s temperature better than I do. I baked them for 25 minutes, and also used a cake tester to check for doneness. If you do not have it, a toothpick will work. Just poke the toothpick in the middle of the muffin, if it comes out clean, the muffins are ready!
I was happy with this muffins, it tastes good and was moist. For improvement, I will probably look for bigger granules for the turbinado sugar next time for more aesthetic appeal. And I will probably fill the muffin liner by 2/3 or 3/4 to get the “mushroom” shape. I was being careful not overfilling the muffin liners because it was the first time doing it. Overall, it’s a recipe to keep! My son loves it and asked me to bake it again. Now, 48 hours later…it did not dry out on me at all, these Chocolate Breakfast Muffins were still moist. Amazing!
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup Dutch Process Cocoa
- 1¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 stick melted butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp dark instant coffee(dissolved in 20-30 ml water)
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- turbinado sugar for topping(optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line muffin pan with paper muffin cups.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk all dry ingredients(flour, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, chocolate chips). Set aside.
- On a smaller bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients(dissolved coffee, vanilla, melted butter, eggs, buttermilk).
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients mixture, stir well. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin up to ½ fill. Sprinkle some turbinado sugar on top.
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until when the cake tester inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, keep it in the muffin pan for another 5 minutes.
- Then, transfer and let it cool on a rack.